Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Scary night last night

Well I didn't update last night because I was pretty scared, stressed, nervous freaked out etc.... The reason why is because I had my first experience with Bryce turning blue on me and not coming to without the help of his nurse and the resuscitation bag.... He had just eaten and I was holding him on my shoulder and he was sleeping... all of a sudden his alarm went off showing a Brady, (no biggie he's had these before) his heart rate was in the 40's, so I took him off my shoulder and looked at him, (thats what they tell you to do because sometimes the machines are wrong) While I was looking at him his Sats alarm started going off, that too was in the 40's so I looked at him again....... Well by this point (which felt like forever but was only about 3 seconds) he was completely blue, and not breathing (even though he is on breathing assistance) So of course the brainiac that I am I started screaming "He's Blue!" He's Blue!" so of course the nurse comes, grabs him out of my hands and tells me "Don't just sit there and look at him!" and she puts him in his bed and tries to stimulate him to get him to start breathing, didn't work.... So then she had to get the green resuscitation bag and do a "blow by" which I guess gets him to snap out of it and start breathing again.... Well that worked and he is OK now "knock on wood".... But heres what I want to know....... How in the hell was I supposed to know what to do???? WAS I supposed to know what to do? I don't know but apparently the nurse didn't like what I was doing, which was basically just screaming and trust me I know that wasn't helping him in anyway.... But NOBODY has taught me anything about what to do when that happens! So basically I cried and left..... I know he's my son and I know I am at the hospital ALLOT BUT I don't know what to do when that happens, I have never been in this situation before PLUS I was in a hospital, they should be taking care of that stuff until I am trained in infant CPR and taught how to handle that kind of stuff..... Am I wrong???

Anyway that was just a little B--ch session sorry. Bryce tonight is 3lbs 15.8 Oz. ALMOST 4 Pounds! Exciting! And doing better than last night. Oh and he gets cuter every day!

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Erika,
You did what any mother would do - start screaming for help. After all, you are in a hospital and they are the "trained professionals". As far as I see it, you did exactly what you should have done. Oh and by the way, Bryce is the cutest little guy I have seen in a long time. I hope you all have a better day today.
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Erika, I would ask the nurse at the hospital, how to go about getting some training on what to do in that kind of emergency. Now would be the time before Bryce gets home. You reacted like most parents would, however learn from your scary experience!!!! Bryce gets cuter every day!!!!!

Dad

23wktwinsmommy said...

My question is, when the sat alarm and brady alarm were sounding, why didn't anyone come running? Maybe things are different in CCN (mine stayed in the regular pods and were discharged from there), but don't nurses respond to alarms in CCN? You did what you should have done, and that is yell for help. You would not have been expected to use the green bag, nor will you ever be trained to do that. That is the nurses job, and if you started doing those kinds of things that is a liability for the nurses.
I am sorry that happened to you. My guess is he was refluxing. I hope you are able to explain to that nurse that she should have responded to the alarm, and that as a parent you yelled for help and that is all you could have done.

Go Patriots!!!

Go Patriots!!!
Finally Football season!


Cute

Look at my muscles!

Look at my muscles!

No Oxygen!

No Oxygen!
So who does he look like????

VAPO THERM!!!!! Yipee!!!

VAPO THERM!!!!! Yipee!!!
Look at me I'm on VapoTherm now! You can see my fat cheeks!

July 5, 2007

July 5, 2007
First day no oxygen...

Apnea study

Apnea study
On Monday 7/2/07We participated in an Apnea study for UMass Medical School, it is a study to try to prevent apnea in preemies.


Colee holding Bryce

Faythe Holding Bryce

We're home!

Fist time trying out the carseat before going home

Cute!

Cute!



Daddy and Bryce

Daddy and Bryce
Finally I remembered to take a picture!

Sleeping...

Sleeping...

Just to get an idea of how small Bryce is, that is my hand and its almost twice the size of him. This pic is from last week.

2lbs. 11.6oz.

Coming out for my first tubbie!

Coming out for my first tubbie!

My first Tubbie

My first Tubbie
Anne (bryce's nurse) Putting him in the tubbie for the first time

The Mommy Massage!

The Mommy Massage!
Ahhh... This is the life!

Mmmm... Fingers!

Mohawk!!!!

Mohawk!!!!
Anne not only gave Bryce his first tubby, but she also gave him his first Mohawk!

I'm only the cutest baby EVER!

I'm only the cutest baby EVER!

Mad??? What gave you that idea?

Mad??? What gave you that idea?

Peek-A-Boo

Peek-A-Boo
So in this game what comes after you put your hands over your eyes???

Bryce trying to pull out his breathing tube

Bryce trying to pull out his breathing tube
Is this thing really NECESSARY??

Bryce holding onto a toy instead of his breathing tube and pulling it out!

Mom pretty sure you should have someone else take the picture and not try to do it yourself!

Just Me and My Mom!

Just Me and My Mom!
May 8, 2007

Even on bad days I'm still so Cute!

Please NO MORE PICTURES!

Please NO MORE PICTURES!
Would you stop with the camera already!

Clean blankets, clean bum what more can a boy ask for??

Boy am I tired!

Boy am I tired!

Changing my Bed

Changing my Bed
Mom gets to pick me up while my nurse changes my bed

Happy Birthday Mommy!

Happy Birthday Mommy!
First time I ever got to hold Bryce

Best birthday gift a mom could have aked for.