Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 20, 2007

ALSA, ALTE, PICU GERD, BPD

A.L.S.A=Advanced Life Support Ambulance - what had to pick us up Sunday
A.L.T.E= Acute Life Threatening Episode - which is what our primary diagnosis was.
P.I.C.U= Pediatric Intensive Care Unit - Where we were admitted this weekend.
G.E.R.D= Basically reflux
B.P.D= Broncho Pulmanry Dispaysia - Lung disease that we were diagnosed with.

OK enough with the definitions basically this is what happened......
Sunday sitting home giving Bryce his neb (from previous admission) all of a sudden he goes into a complete back bend in my lap, starts foaming from his mouth, white chunky stuff pours out of his nose, he stops breathing! Call 911, they get here he is finally breathing but not crying and very, very pale.. they decide he need ALSA, so they call in ALS EMt's from Oxford and they bring the biggest most high tech ambulance I think I have ever seen! Next thing I know we are flying down Rte 20, I am being asked so many questions while the EMT's are working on Bryce.... Scariest thing I have been through... we get to UMass brought right into a room, where the begin working on him, checking Sats (which were pretty much in the crapper) trying to take blood, start an IV, Insert a catheter, Chest Xray the whole 9 yards... while in the process of all this my poor little guy turns the darkest blue I have ever seen in my life... not just his face but his ENTIRE body! Can we say PANIC! Even the ER people looked nervous..... So needless to say we are getting admitted again, but this time they want him in ICU, not just the regular floor. We go to ICU and get comfy by this point Bryce was better but now we need to figure out what the hell just happened....By this time it about 11pm, so they just let us try to get some rest and deal with everything tomorrow. Monday we see about a million docs... GI, Pulmonology, Pedi, everyone... They come to the conclusion that Bryce has sever reflux and that must be what caused all of this. We get discharged from ICU and put on a regular floor to be watched, they changed Bryce to NEOkate formula, start his back on nebs every 4 hours, prednisone, Prevacid, Reglan and IV fluids. During the night about 1 am Bryces heart rate is ringing off like crazy he was Tachy at 237... NOT GOOD. The nurses come in Bryce now has a temp of 101.2 where did this come from??? Who knows... SO they take more blood, another chest Xray and belly Xray everything looks OK, of course with the exception of his scarred lungs which he has had all along anyway. They also did an Echo... The echo shows that Bryce has allot of pressure in the right side of his heart and also he has 2-3 ASD, (defects in his heart) mostly all caused from his BPD. So long story short we finally get discharged yesterday, pulmonology sends us home on an inhaler 2 times a day, nebs and prednisone. GI sends us home on Reglan and prevacid and with strict instructions to watch him carefully..... So after 4 days of NO sleep we are home and he seems to be back to himself. He hates his meds so that is a huge battle ad he really hates his inhaler but we'll get through this. So please pray for him that he stays healthy especially now that it is getting to be RSV season. We definitely won't be going anywhere except doc appts. and visitors here will be limited.. I am going to get to know the inside of my house very well! But thats OK as long as he is healthy. On the bright side he is finally smiling at us when we talk to him so that makes me feel really good!

3 comments:

23wktwinsmommy said...

That is soo scary...I'm so sorry you all had to experience that.
Just wanted you to know I called my case manager and left a message and hopefully will hear back tomorrow. I'll call you as soon as I do.
Call if you need anything. I hope the meds work for Bryca and he doesn't have anymore ALTEs.

Ellen said...

oy veh.....
that was quite scary...glad to hear that you are all home again.
I'm so sorry that Bryce has to go through all of this but he is definitely a fighter and such a little cutie pie. Call me if you want to talk.

Shannon said...

Hi, I was referred to your blog from Serena and Edwin Jr's mom. My son Ashton also has ALTEs. If you would like to talk more I would be more than willing to.

Ashton was also born at 24 weeks on June 10/05. He came home from NICU on January 23/06. The next day he had an ALTE. By January 27th he had seven. However he did these in the NICU and we were told not to really worry. Kind of sad, but we were used to seeing them so didn't think much of them. But the fifth day he had two in a row. He was admitted to ICU, placed back on a vent and continued the spells. (Yes, even on the vent). It was at this time that they did a gj tube because they figured reflux was causing them. He came home February 23rd.

July 2006 he had two in one day. Took him to ER, nothing was done. He went all the way until this April and had a VERY long one. Again, nothing done. June 13th he had one while in hospital for his cochlear implant surgery. This by the way was at one of the best childrens hospital in the world. He was discharged 8hours after the spell.

Just this past Sunday he almost had one. Again, doctors just don't do a thing. Just tell me to make sure I know CPR and that everytime he has one there is a chance he will not come out of it.

I have never met another mom that has dealt with these.

Would love to talk more....

Go Patriots!!!

Go Patriots!!!
Finally Football season!


Cute

Look at my muscles!

Look at my muscles!

No Oxygen!

No Oxygen!
So who does he look like????

VAPO THERM!!!!! Yipee!!!

VAPO THERM!!!!! Yipee!!!
Look at me I'm on VapoTherm now! You can see my fat cheeks!

July 5, 2007

July 5, 2007
First day no oxygen...

Apnea study

Apnea study
On Monday 7/2/07We participated in an Apnea study for UMass Medical School, it is a study to try to prevent apnea in preemies.


Colee holding Bryce

Faythe Holding Bryce

We're home!

Fist time trying out the carseat before going home

Cute!

Cute!



Daddy and Bryce

Daddy and Bryce
Finally I remembered to take a picture!

Sleeping...

Sleeping...

Just to get an idea of how small Bryce is, that is my hand and its almost twice the size of him. This pic is from last week.

2lbs. 11.6oz.

Coming out for my first tubbie!

Coming out for my first tubbie!

My first Tubbie

My first Tubbie
Anne (bryce's nurse) Putting him in the tubbie for the first time

The Mommy Massage!

The Mommy Massage!
Ahhh... This is the life!

Mmmm... Fingers!

Mohawk!!!!

Mohawk!!!!
Anne not only gave Bryce his first tubby, but she also gave him his first Mohawk!

I'm only the cutest baby EVER!

I'm only the cutest baby EVER!

Mad??? What gave you that idea?

Mad??? What gave you that idea?

Peek-A-Boo

Peek-A-Boo
So in this game what comes after you put your hands over your eyes???

Bryce trying to pull out his breathing tube

Bryce trying to pull out his breathing tube
Is this thing really NECESSARY??

Bryce holding onto a toy instead of his breathing tube and pulling it out!

Mom pretty sure you should have someone else take the picture and not try to do it yourself!

Just Me and My Mom!

Just Me and My Mom!
May 8, 2007

Even on bad days I'm still so Cute!

Please NO MORE PICTURES!

Please NO MORE PICTURES!
Would you stop with the camera already!

Clean blankets, clean bum what more can a boy ask for??

Boy am I tired!

Boy am I tired!

Changing my Bed

Changing my Bed
Mom gets to pick me up while my nurse changes my bed

Happy Birthday Mommy!

Happy Birthday Mommy!
First time I ever got to hold Bryce

Best birthday gift a mom could have aked for.